Planning a big party for the Fourth of July? Before you invite over guests and fire up the grill, you may want to check on your plumbing first.
Here are some tips to make the 4th a blast!
1) Inspect your toilet
You are going to need your toilet fully operational if you are inviting over guests. Before the party, check for these warning signs of a leak:
- Need to jiggle the handle for proper flushing
- Weird sounds
- Having to hold down handle to complete flush
- Water pooling on ground
- Phantom flusher
You can search for some solutions online or call over a handy Los Angeles plumbing company to provide assistance .
2) Don’t use garbage disposal as a waste receptacle
Too many people try to save time by throwing food scraps into the garbage disposal, causing a clog. In reality, the disposal should only be used in extreme measures, but people will chop vegetables and toss the rinds down the hole without even flipping the shred switch.
Avoid throwing these items down the disposal:
- Stringy vegetables, like celery, that can get tangled around blades
- Hard foods, like corn rinds, that can damage disposal
- Grease, fats, and oils, which congeal in the pipes and cause serious clogs
- Non-compostable items, like plastic utensils, which need proper removal
3) Check your outdoor water pressure
If you plan to light off fireworks, which we DO NOT recommend or condone, you will want to make sure that you have an emergency extinguishing system. If you don’t own an extinguisher, your water hose is a viable substitute. We suggest placing a nozzle on the hose, so that you can increase the pressure and range. Again, do this at your own risk.
Have a Happy Fourth!